Imagine watching lions walking past your game drive vehicle or elephants drinking water just yards away and rhinos grazing outside the Lodge. Imagine rugged mountain sunsets and starlit nights. This is a glimpse into the Izingwe experience.
Izingwe Lodge is the private residence of internationally renowned interior architect and designer, Trisha Wilson, and is a member of the Mantis Owner’s Collection. It is a 5 Star lodge, operated on an Exclusive Use basis, meaning that for the duration of your stay at Izingwe you will have the Lodge and its facilities for your sole use.
Izingwe Lodge is located in the Northern Bushveld of South Africa in the UNESCO designated Waterberg Biosphere. It is a 3 hour road trip from Johannesburg’s OR Tambo International airport or alternatively, a 50 minute helicopter or aeroplane flight. The Lodge is nestled in a secluded mountain valley in the 86,000 acre Welgevonden Game Reserve.
Izingwe is all about safari. Game viewing, birding and photography are among the best in Africa. The Lodge is an Exclusive Use property and located in a private Game Reserve. Your safari guide tailors your experience to your interests and the dynamics of the animal activity. Your guide is a gifted educator and an expert tracker.
Guests at Izingwe are not subject to competing interests of other guests or time constraints of larger commercial lodges or national parks.
Izingwe Lodge is an exclusive-use lodge, booked out entirely for a group of travellers, for up to 6 guests. The individual lodges each overlook a spectacular view of the fertile and wild Welgevonden Private Game Reserve.
This Big 5 game reserve is teeming with a plethora of wild animals, big and small. Full-time staff is always on hand to assist with whatever is required, while a safari guide with 20 years of experience under his belt is available to guests for game drives of the reserve.
• 2 x Luxury en-suite Villas – 1 x king bed
• 1 x Luxury en-suite Villa – 2 x double beds
• Only children of age 8 and over are accommodated at Izingwe Lodge.
• A maximum of 1 child (between the ages 8 - 15 yrs) per Villa sharing with two adults
• Three (3) adults are not permitted to share rooms
• The area is free from malaria.
• Road or air transfers can be arranged on request at an additional cost
• These are handled by accredited charter companies
• Quotes are given subject to change without notice
• For safety reasons flights are subject weather conditions. A substitute transfer will be arranged by road, if required
• A cancellation fee may be incurred if a confirmed charter is cancelled by the client
Reservation / Payment / Cancellation Conditions
• A 50% deposit of the total accommodation amounts and any air or road transfers arranged by Izingwe Lodge, is payable.
• The remaining 50% of the accommodation payment and any air or road transfers arranged by Izingwe Lodge, must be made 30 days prior to arrival. Until this amount is paid, the reservation shall be treated as a provisional reservation.
• Reservations made within 30 days of arrival date must be confirmed by full payment within 48 hours
• Payments are to be made directly into the bank account as stipulated on the invoice.
• Proof of payment and reservation details must be emailed to the relevant email address, as per the invoice in order to confirm the reservation.
• Should the pre-payment policy not be met, Izingwe Lodge reserves the right to cancel the reservation without notice.
• The pre-payment shall be refunded as outlined in the cancellation policy.
• Confirmed reservations cancelled 46+ days prior to arrival will be charged at 5% of the total accommodation amount.
• Confirmed reservations cancelled 31-45 days prior to arrival will be charged at 20% of the total accommodation amount.
• Confirmed reservations cancelled 30 – 21 days prior to arrival will be charged at 50% of the total accommodation amount.
• Confirmed reservations cancelled 20 – 0 days prior to arrival will be charged at 100% of the total accommodation
• Reservations will be released automatically & without notification if these payment conditions are not met.
Check-in and Check-out times:
• Check in time is from 14:00.
• Early check in times, if requested, will be considered, subject to the availability of rooms and may be subject to an additional charge.
• All arrival times should be advised, particularly arrivals after 18:00.
• Check out time is prior to 10:00. All requests for a late departure are subject to availability and may be subject to a late departure fee.
Izingwe Lodge will not be held liable for any loss or damage to any guest or their belongings whilst on the premises. The client/guests shall be responsible for any loss or damage to the villa, furnishings, utensils or equipment therein, caused by any act or omission by the client/guests of their employee.
• All rates are quoted, invoiced and payable in USD and are per person sharing per night and inclusive of 14% South African VAT.
• Sleeps 2 adults per suite.
• 2 adults sharing with 1 child (between ages 8 – 15) can be accommodated on request.
• 2 of the suites are king bedded and 1 suite offers 2 double beds.
• Rates are subject to change without prior notice.
Rates are inclusive of:
• Luxury en-suite accommodation
• All meals and Game Drive Snacks
• Local Alcoholic and Non Alcoholic Beverages
• Mini Bars in rooms
• Two game drives daily in open game viewing vehicle with experienced guide
• Laundry services
• Use of communal swimming pool.
• Use of gym
• Return transfers from the Welgevonden Airstrip to the lodge
• Return transfers to Welgevonden Gate
Rates are exclusive of:
• Conservation Levy charged at $10 PPPN
• Telephone calls
• Road and Air Transfers to and from Welgevonden Game Reserve
Please advise Reservations of:
• Any special dietary requirements and we will do our utmost to oblige.
• Any special occasions such as birthdays, anniversaries etc
• Estimated time of arrival
• Method of transport
• Mobile number, if any in South Africa
Being the founder and CEO of the award-winning interior architectural design firm Wilson Associates, design and comfort were key when developing this piece of Africa that I own.
My then US-based company, Wilson Associates, had its headquarters in Dallas, Texas with offices in New York, Los Angeles, Singapore, Shanghai and Cochin. It was on a trip to South Africa to set up an office in Johannesburg that I found myself so moved by the sight of a family of baboons passing closely in front of my car that I decided I wanted a home in the bush. When I first laid eyes on the wild animals of the area, it touched my soul.
Set on 100 000 acres of malaria free private game reserve in the Waterberg Mountains, Izingwe, which means leopards in Zulu, is my African home in the bush and naturally has an enormous amount of style. It consists of five main parts: the lodge with a large living and dining area, a veranda and bar; three guest villas, personal quarters, a gym and an office.
My design philosophy is simple – to not impose a signature style but rather to create unique places customised for each client and in this case, the client is me. The buildings at Izingwe all blend in with the unique topography of the land. And the simplicity of the structure is juxtaposed with a creative Colonial / African bush flare of furniture with much of the colour from nature brought into the lodge. Every room is open and airy which creates a borderless sense of place in the African wilderness.
I also love giving back and this community has given me the opportunity to do so. The local, rural township is home to about 35 000 people including hundreds of AIDS orphans and other vulnerable children. In 1997 I established a non-profit organisation that provides education, health care services, food and shelter to the children and families of this area. This is a project close to my heart and part of why I love my home away from home in Africa.
Settled into the natural setting at Izingwe are three smaller villas or lodges and a main lodge. Single-party bookings ensure that guests are ensured the utmost privacy at Izingwe Lodge, while still being able to enjoy the facilities here.
Handcrafted pieces and furnishings
Private balconies and salas
Fireplace in main lounge and each suite
Dedicated helicopter landing area
Nearby watering hole
Full-time resident cook, safari guide and housekeeping personnel
Boma – a traditional outdoor dining area
Charlotte Rys bathroom amenities
Laundry and ironing services on request
Linen and Towels
Turn down service
Tea and coffee making facilities in each suite
Please be aware that South Africa has introduced strict immigration regulations when it comes to travelling with children. Please ensure that you are carrying the correct documentation when travelling as a family.
Road or helicopter transfers available on request.
Although the roads in most areas are good, and accessible in a two wheel drive, it is best to have a 4×4 as there are those areas where a two wheel drive will make for an uncomfortable drive down to the lodge.
See & Do
Early morning and later afternoon game drives area a daily activity at Izingwe Lodge, while guests may also look to get involved in the lodge’s social responsibility initiatives in the nearby village of Vaalwater.
Relaxing by the infinity pool while relishing the incredible views, working up a sweat in the fitness centre or simply reading a book on your private balcony or sala are all options during the day at Izingwe Lodge
Please enter the message you'd like to send to Izingwe Lodge
|Tariff name||Resource/property type||Min people||Max people||Valid from||Valid til||Minimum days||Maximum days|
|Tuesday, 17 May 2022||21||9||Clouds|
|Wednesday, 18 May 2022||21||9||Clear|
|Thursday, 19 May 2022||22||10||Clear|
|Friday, 20 May 2022||24||12||Rain|
|Saturday, 21 May 2022||17||5||Clear|
|Sunday, 22 May 2022||17||5||Clear|
|Monday, 23 May 2022||20||7||Clear|
No other properties nearby.